Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Paradise should be just at the corner

I don't know.

On Saturday, I was in that hospital room with my mom. We were talking. It was about 7.00pm. We were used to the heavy breathing of my grand mother with her mask, oxygen, etc.

But suddenly.. Silence. Deadly silence.

"Mom, mom, she's stopping breathing !!!"
My hand on her heart. Not to check anything, just to, I don't know, touch her.
She breathes 2 times. One time.
She's gone.

My mom rushes to the doc, I take my grand-ma in my arms, crying. "No, no no no!!!"
She's gone.

"Why do you leave when I am with you, I can't handle that, I don't know how to handle that"

My sister had just left, my grandma wanted to spare her, I know.

We leave the room a few minutes later. The medical staff say they will "prepare her".
I ask them if they can close her mouth. "no problem !"

We leave for 20 minutes, my sister's back with us.
I get a call from Jenny, asking for news. Jenny, an angel : ))

We go back to the room, I expect to see my grandma, all pretty.
But.
She's in a white plastic bag already, around her head a bandage. She's already completely yellow.
(why did the skin turn SO yellow?? weird)

I was the first to be back in the room. I rush out, I tell my sis to wait a minute to get ready for something bad.

I get back there, open the plastic back down to her waist. I arrange a bedshit around her head, to hide the bandage.
My sister can't approach her, can't look at her. My mom is devastated.

I'm happy I'm a girl with a girlie handbag. I kiss my grandma. I start to put some nail varnish on her pretty hands.
Some light lipstick on her pretty lips. Now she's so pretty in death.
I hug her tight tight. And I won't stop for hours. Her still warm dead body comfort me.

Tomorrow, the funerals.

And tomorrow, probably the first judgement for my divorce.
I'm used to the worst at the moment, since months, so, it shouldn't be that bad.

Wish me luck when I read love words during the ceremony. It will happen at 11.00am.
I think I am strong, but I am not sure really.

12 comments:

  1. Huge hugs...!
    Very beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So touching... Hugs and my thoughts are and will be with you, my friend. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be with you in thought tomorrow at 11. You ARE strong. Loving, caring and feeling for others is the REAL strength.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mon coeur est avec toi mon amie. Tant d'émotions. Tu as vécu le contraire de mon expérience, j'ai écouté l'enterrement de ma grand mère au téléphone. Tu étais si proche que tu l'as vu partir. Cela a du être si dur. La douleur est vive. Saches qu'au loin mon cœur bat avec le tien en l'enrobant de douces pensées. Lot of love

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully post, but heartrending. My thoughts will also be with you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll do great I'm sure. So sorry about all the difficult things that are happening all at once to you :( You are such a strong woman, though, that I know you'll conquer all fear and be as wonderful as you've always been even in the face of difficult challenges! Much love, ma coupine rouquine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. :"( ... lots of thoughts and vibes from me to you will be with you as well at 11. and yes ... you ARE strong ... as strong as a woman can be ... with the strength of life that comes from heart :-*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Je pense bien à toi maintenant et toute la matinée. Je pleure avec toi d'émotions en te lisant.
    Vivement que cette année affreuse se termine.
    Big hugs and bisous

    ReplyDelete
  9. My sweet darling Sista....you are so brave (I have always known this - Always). Your beloved Grandma rests now, in peace and in love...and you played a huge role in allowing that to happen for her. Making her "pretty" in death is testimony to the love you have in your heart for her - if it's at all possible, I love you even more for that.:-)*^*^~*^*~

    Keeping you close in my thoughts & my heart - sending you waves of *sparkles* to hug you tight *^*~***^~*^*~*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry Candy. I know they say that grandparents leaving us is normal but it doesn't hurt less for that. And your divorce?? I had no idea and feel wretched about that. I'll be thinking of you although I'm sure that doesn't help.
    Much love,
    Laurienna

    ReplyDelete
  11. ugh - plastic bag! So glad they gave us peace when my dad died 9 years ago...
    Stay strong - love and memories WILL live on!
    Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  12. all your words... I read them again and again. I'm so lucky! love ewws <3

    ReplyDelete